Friday, August 31, 2012

10 Things I Must Do Before I Die

So if you haven’t noticed already, I’m obsessed with Twitter. Follow me, do it. I think Twitter is the coolest thing since sliced bread. I’m still not sure why it took me so long to jump on the bandwagon.

One of the trending topics today is: 10 Things I Must Do Before I Die. This concept directly links back to a conversation I was having with some family members earlier this week about bucket lists and life goals. So I started thinking about it in depth and decided to extract 10 things from my very own bucket list.

In true Food to Culture fashion, these things will relate to food and travel. Here goes.

1.      Get Heston Blumenthal to throw my friends and me one of his famous themed feasts. The themes I’m leaning towards are: the future; Alice in Wonderland; or Vampires.

2.      Party on a plane. Literally, I want a DJ mixing it up, going mental on the decks on an airplane, whilst my friends and I dance the day/night/jet lag away. David Guetta did it. My choice of DJ would be Don Diablo. Bring it. Let’s get this party started.

3.      Have an under the sea adventure in a submarine. Like a Russian spy or even better, fancy like the Titanic. I want to cruise the depths of the ocean and wave to the sea creatures.

4.      Learn to fly a helicopter. Then I could take myself to wherever I want to go, whenever! Oh yeah, this would also assume I own a helicopter or at least have access to one (I hear leasing is the way to go).

5.      Take French patisserie lessons from a master, like Pierre Herme. Following this, I would throw a decadent afternoon tea for my girlfriends, fueled none other than by the fruits of my labour and quality (expensive) Champagne. Then I’d take my shoes off and dance around whilst drinking from a champas bottles.

6.      Take a dog sled through the snow. In one of those really cold places like Alaska or Canada. I would name the dogs after Santa’s reindeer.

7.      Follow the Inca Trail and climb Machu Picchu. I love mountains and nothing beats perching on top of one and taking in the awesomeness, peace, history and nature surrounding you.

8.      Go on an African Safari. Ever since I was young I was intrigued by African animals, my first school project was on the Cheetah.

9.      Snorkel the Great Barrier Reef. This may seem simple to some, but I can’t swim. Seriously. Even the thought of deep water (where I can’t touch the bottom) suffocates and terrifies me. I nearly drowned (twice!) when I was young and since then, even after several adult swimming classes, I’m still not over my fear. So step one to this would be: learn to swim!

10.  Charity work abroad. One of the next holidays I take, I want to entirely dedicate to others. I want to help build an orphanage or school; hit the ground running for Doctors without Borders or Red Cross; or volunteer my time at the School of St Jude in Tanzania. Anything, just a block of time where I pull my head out of my own ass and give to others, just because I can and because I want to try and make the world a better place.

There seem to be more travel items than food on this list.That’s because my travel wishlist is ever growing, check it.

Maybe I inspired you to come up with your own things to do before you die or to update your current bucket list. 

What’s on your list?

2 comments:

  1. The list from 5 down is slightly more realistic!! Peru next year?? My friend has a school in Uganda (like St Jude's) that we can volunteer at! Learn to swim and lets head to the Barrier Reef too :) Claire x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't be a hater Claire - I never said the list had to be realistic! Haha. I'm thinking South America in 2014 for World Cup Soccer. BRING IT! Also to combine 8 + 10 as well as do some charity work in Vietnam early next year (thinking of going in January). Uganda sounds cool too...although I'm afraid the Africa trip won't happen for a while. xx

      Delete